Special Collections Department
Plough Press Archives
1921 - 1986
bulk dates 1970 - 1985
Manuscript Collection Number: 97-27,
91-157, 91-123, 91-69, 89-19, 89-5, 88-47, 88-46, 88-45, 88-42, 88-35
Extent: approximately 26 linear ft.
Content: notes, manuscripts, correspondence, layout notes, dummies, proofs, plates, covers, metal blocks, mockups, prospectuses, various printing tools, tearsheets, negatives, photographs, drawings, prints, binding materials, leather samples, paper samples, pasteups, wood block prints, wood blocks, financial papers, book orders, books, announcements, broadsides, advertisements, business journals, articles, book reviews, autographs, stationery, greeting cards, and correspondence.
Access: Limited pending completion of processing.
for reference assistance email Special Collections
Special Collections, University of Delaware Library
Newark, Delaware 19717-5267
Table of Contents
The Plough Press was founded by Geoffrey Wakeman in 1967, in Loughborough, Licestershire. Wakeman was taught letterpress printing by Philip Gaskell at the College Press in Glasgow. The first book printed by the press was Share of Ploughs (1968), consisting of a series of colored blocks of ploughs with accompanying verses about ploughs and ploughing. The first major Plough Press publication was XIX Century Illustration (1970). It described sixteen printing processes with accompanying contemporary specimens. Such leaf books became a regular feature of Plough Press publications as Wakeman believed the only way to properly study the history of paper and printing was by examining actual specimens. The majority of Plough Press books are limited editions, letter press printed and handbound, but some publications were always manufactured commercially. In 1982, the press moved to Kidlington, Oxfordshire, and produced a bibliography of its works The Plough Press 1967-1981: Fifteen Years Printing in a Loughborough Garage. Wakeman died in 1987, but the press is still run by his widow Frances and son Paul, with offices in Kidlington and Nottingham. Although the press still occasionally produces limited edition works, the major of publications are now commercially manufactured.
"The Plough Press," retrieved 22 January 2004 from http://www.ploughpress.com/company.htm
The Plough Press Archives consists of approximately 25 linear feet of material dating from 1921 to 1986, with the bulk of the material dating from 1970 to 1985. The collection contains a wide variety of pre-publication materials (notes, manuscripts, layout notes, dummies, proofs, plates, covers, metal blocks, mockups, prosectuses, various printing tools, tearsheets, negatives, photographs, drawings, prints, binding materials, leather samples, paper samples, pasteups, wood block prints, wood blocks, financial papers, and book orders), as well as many examples of the Press's finished works (books, announcements, broadsides, and advertisements), and various other materials relating to the Press and its employees and owners (business journals, articles, book reviews, autographs, stationery, greeting cards, and correspondence.)
Please contact Manuscripts Librarian for further assistance.