Identification: MSS 097, Item 091
Creator: Delaware College. Pestalozzi Literary Society.
Title: Pestalozzi Literary Society, Delaware College, Newark, Delaware
Inclusive Dates: 1876 November 10–1886 January
Extent: 1 v. (36 p.) ; 27 cm.
Abstract: This volume contains the constitution, bylaws, amendments, membership roster, and presidential oath for the Pestalozzi Literary Society of Delaware College (later the University of Delaware), an early student group for women at the previously all-male institution.
Language: Materials entirely in English.
MSS 097, Item 091, Pestalozzi Literary Society, Delaware College, Newark, Delaware, Special Collections, University of Delaware Library, Newark, Delaware.
Item 91: Shelved in SPEC MSS 097
Special Collections Department, University of Delaware Library / Newark, Delaware 19717-5267 / Phone: 302-831-2229 / Fax: 302-831-6003 / URL: http://www.lib.udel.edu/ud/spec/
Gift of the estate of Lena Evans.
Processed and encoded by Evan Echols, April 2009.
The collection is open for research.
Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required from the copyright holder. Please contact Special Collections Department, University of Delaware Library, http://www.lib.udel.edu/cgi-bin/askspec.cgi
The Pestalozzi Literary Society was founded in 1876 at Delaware College (Newark, Delaware) by nine female students and named in honor of a Swiss educational reformer. The organization was similar to two male societies at Delaware College, the Athenaean and Delta Phi. The society's purpose was to "encourage literary pursuits and companionship."
The society met weeky and required members "to write poems, short stories, and essays to be read at their meetings, and they debated such issues as, 'Resolved: That the Native savage possesses a right to the soil' and 'Resolved: Women should be allowed to vote'." The society established a monthly magazine in 1881, with the intention that it become the "best monthly published in America." After failing to come to a consensus regarding the publication's name, they made the decision to call itNo Name.
Hoffecker, Carol E. 1994. Beneath thy guiding hand: a history of women at the University of Delaware. Newark, Del: University of Delaware.
This volume contains the constitution, bylaws, amendments, membership roster, and presidential oath for the Pestalozzi Literary Society of Delaware College (currently the University of Delaware), an early student group for women at the previously all-male institution.
The articles of the constitution set forth the name of the organization, membership requirements, the officers and their, and the guidelines for meetings, exercises, and inducting honorary members of the society. Following the constitution, the bylaws lay out the the guidelines for entrance into the society, membership dues, fines for improper behavior, and the rules of debate during meetings. In addition, the bylaws further define the duties of the society's officers. There are two amendments to the bylaws, one altering the organization's weekly meeting time and the other establishing the name of their publication as No Name.
The last section of the volume contains the presidential oath along with the names and addresses of the serving presidents from 1877 to 1886. There is also a membership oath with the names and addresses of various members from 1876 to 1884.
The collection consists of one bound volume with autograph notes and signatures of Pestalozzi Literary Society members. The vast majority of the pages in the volume were left blank.
Pestalozzi Literary Society, Delaware College, Newark, Delaware, 1876 November 10–1886 January [Item 091]