University of Delaware Library

Special Collections Department


Collins and Autenrieth
Architectural Works

1852 -1904

Manuscript Collection Number: 359
Accessioned: Gift of the Moyerman family, 1972.
Extent: 422 items
Content: Drawings and sketches, floors plans, elevations, sections, details, perspectives, renderings, blueprints,
notebooks, and an indenture.
Access: The collection is open for research.
Processed: March 1998 by Arthur Siegel.

for reference assistance email Special Collections
or contact:

Table of Contents


+ Series I.: Competitions & Exhibitions

+ Series II.: Public Structures

+ Series III: Private Structures

+ Series IV: Project Journals


Biographical Note + Scope and Content Note + Series Outline

Contents List

Box -- Folder -- Contents

      Series I.  Competitions and Exhibitions,  1854, 1873
          This series includes drawings in ink and watercolor that Collins and Autenrieth
          submitted to the 1854 American Academy of Music competition for a
          Philadelphia opera house, as well as copies of drawings submitted to the Vienna
          Universal Exposition in 1873.

          Academy of Music  (13 items)
          Most drawings are signed "E. Collins, Chs Autenriech, Chs Herman, Architects,
          123 Walnut Street," and date from 1854.

     F1   Broad Street elevation
          watercolor on paper; 23 3/8 x 30 1/8"

     F2   Locust Street elevation
          watercolor on paper; 22 1/2 x 37 1/8

     F3   Locust Street elevation
          watercolor on paper; 27 1/8 x 39 3/8"

     F4   Basement floor plans
          watercolor on paper; 36 3/8 x 27 7/8", matted

     F5   First story with balcony and parquet floor plans
          watercolor on paper; 39 x 27 1/4"

     F6   Second story and first tier floor plans
          watercolor on paper; 36 3/8 x 27"

     F7   Third story and second tier floor plans
          watercolor on paper; 27 1/4 x 39"

     F8   Fourth story and third tier floor plans
          watercolor on paper; 36 3/8 x 27"

     F9   Longitudinal section
          ink on paper; 27 1/4 x 39"

     F10  Transverse section through auditory
          watercolor on paper; 26 x 28 7/8"

          Transverse section through stage
          ink on paper; 26 x 28 7/8"

          Transverse section through staircase
          watercolor on paper; 26 x 27 7/8"

          Diagram of lines of sight
          ink on paper; 18 7/8 x 31 5/8"



     F11  Vienna Exhibition  (14 items)
          Collins and Autenrieth submitted their work to the Vienna Exhibition of 1873,
          where it was displayed in the Kunsthalle (Arts Building).  Among the floorplans
          and sections, there are two folders from the exhibition, one from the "Amateurs
          Pavilion" and the other from the "Art Gallery," specific locations within the
          Kunsthalle.  The drawings themselves are folded, and were likely contained in
          these folders either before or after the exhibition.  Moreover, these are not original
          drawings, but rather prints, and the title and descriptions are in German with
          English translation.

          Section A.B.
          print on paper; 26 3/4 x 28 3/4"

          Ground plans
          print on paper; 24 1/2 x 33 1/8"

          Section, ground plan
          print on paper; 26 3/4 x 91 1/2"

          View of an entrance
          print on paper; 41 x 53 1/8"

          End and side view of a corner pavilion
          print on paper; 36 3/8 x 24 3/4"

          Cross section
          print on paper; 28 3/8 x 26 3/4"


          Series I.  Competitions and Exhibitions  (cont'd)
          Vienna Exhibition  (cont'd)

     F11  Section through a side vestibule
          print on paper; 32 3/4 x 28 3/4"

          Sections
          print on paper; 16 1/4 x 20 3/4"

          Section through a small and large salon
          print on paper; 33 x 27 1/4"

          View of the portals
          print on paper; 31 x 48 1/4"

          Section through an outer hall
          print on paper; 29 3/4 x 50"

          Section through the great salon
          print on paper; 39 1/4 x 51 1/2"

          Folders  (2 items)
          "Amateur Pavilion / Vienna Exhibition / 1873," "Art Gallery / Vienna Exhibition /
          1873"




          Series II.  Public Structures,  1852-1898
          This series includes elevations, details, sections, and floorplans in both watercolor
          and ink, of several public structures in the city of Philadelphia.

          Central Presbyterian Church  (30 items)
          Built in the Romanesque style, at N. Broad St., above Fairmount.  Some of the
          drawings are signed by M.P. Hutchinson and George Watson, who were
          presumably on the church's building committee.  Many of these drawings are
          inscribed "Collins and Autenrieth Architects Phila.," though the dates vary from
          February 1876 to January 1878.

     F12  North elevation and structural detail, April 1877 
          ink and watercolor on paper; inscribed at top right "M.P. Hutchinson / George
          Watson / Apr 26/77"; 29 7/8 x 34 7/8"  

          South elevation, April 1877
          ink and watercolor on paper; 24 x 36 1/8"  

     F13  Front elevation, April 1877 
          watercolor on paper; inscribed at top right "M.P. Hutchinson / George Watson /
          Apr 26/77"; 34 1/4 x 29 1/8" 
 
     F14  Plan of foundation footings, April 1877 
          watercolor on paper; 28 5/8 x 27 1/8" 
 
          Cellar plans, April 1877 
          watercolor on paper; 29 x 26 3/4" 
 
          Cellar plans, May 1877 
          watercolor on paper; 21 x 15"  

          Ground plan for the Central Presbyterian Church, April 1877 
          watercolor on paper; inscribed at top right "M.P. Hutchinson / George Watson /
          Apr 26/77"; 39 3/4 x 26 7/8" 
 
     F15  Floor plan 
          ink on paper; 19 7/8 x 27" 
 
          Floor plan  
          ink on paper; 12 3/4 x 17"  
          On reverse side is the south elevation of an unknown building.

          Floor plans 
          ink on paper; 10 1/4 x 19 3/4"  

          Gallery plan, April 1877  
          ink and watercolor on paper; inscribed at top right "M.P. Hutchinson/ George
          Watson / 4th and 27/77"; 29 1/8 x 26 5/8"  

          Flag pole  (partial drawing), n.d.

          Corrected plan of supply, October 1877
          ink tracing on paper; 17 1/8 x 14 1/2"  


          Series II.  Public Structures  (cont'd)
          Central Presbyterian Church  (cont'd)

     F16  Longitudinal section looking south, April 1877
          ink and watercolor on paper; inscribed at top right "M. P. Hutchinson / George
          Watson/ Apr 26/77"; 23 1/8 x 27 5/8"  

     F17  Transverse section looking east, April 1877  
          ink and watercolor on paper; 29 3/4 x 27"  

          Transverse section looking west, April 1877
          ink and watercolor on paper; inscribed at top right "M.P. Hutchinson / George
          Watson / Apr 26/77"; 21 3/8 x 28 1/2"  

          Section through rear building looking east, April 1877 
          ink and watercolor on paper; 18 3/4 x 23 1/4"  

     F18  North Tower, section looking east, April 1877
          ink and watercolor on paper; 35 5/8 x 8 1/8"  
 
          South Tower, section looking east, April 1877
          ink and watercolor on paper; 28 3/4 x 8"  

          Section through base of tower on south side
          pencil on paper; 27 x 17 1/2"  

          Truss between the two towers looking west, May 1877
          ink on paper; 13 1/8 x 17"  

          Frescoes, January 1878
          watercolor and opaque tempera on paper; 21 7/8 x 23"  

          Design for ceiling, n.d.
          pencil and watercolor on paper; 22 3/4 x 23 3/8"  

          Wall fresco, n.d.
          watercolor and opaque tempera on paper; 12 3/4 x 11"  

          Tracery, n.d.
          pencil on paper; 30 3/4 x 17 7/8"  



          Series II.  Public Structures  (cont'd)
          Central Presbyterian Church  (cont'd)

     F19  Pew ends, May 1877
          ink on paper; 29 1/8 x 25 7/8"

     F20  For the Central Presbyterian Church [Front], February 1876
          watercolor on paper; 16 1/2 x 16 3/4" 

          For the Central Presbyterian Church [Front], January 1877
          watercolor on paper; 16 1/2 x 16 3/4"  

          For the Central Presbyterian Church [Back], January 1877
          watercolor on paper; 16 1/2 x 16 3/4" 

          For the Central Presbyterian Church [Back], January 1877
          watercolor on paper; 16 1/2 x 16 3/4" 



     F21  Penn Mutual life Insurance Co. Building  (10 items)
          Designed for M.C. Lea, these drawings are on linen paper and are extremely
          fragile, many of the corners and edges having already flaked off.  Most of the
          drawings are inscribed "Collins & Autenrieth Architects 410 Walnut St. Phila.,"
          and date from February 1865 to January 1866.

          Front elevation for M.C. Lea, February 1865
          ink and watercolor on linen; 21 3/8 x 42 7/8"

          Longitudinal section through hall stair and back passage looking east, January
          1866
          ink and watercolor on linen; 22 x 30 5/8"

          First story floor plan
          watercolor on linen; 42 5/8 x 21 1/4"

          2nd story floor plan, January 1866
          watercolor on linen; 44 1/4 x 21 7/8"

          Third story floor plan, January 1866
          watercolor on linen; 30 3/4 x 22"


          Series II.  Public Structures  (cont'd)
          Penn Mutual Life Insurance Co. Building  (cont'd)

     F21  First story floor plan, January 1866
          watercolor on linen; 45 5/8 x 21 7/8"

          First floor plan, n.d.
          watercolor on linen; 22 3/4 x 45"

          For M.C. Lea.  basement, January 1866
          watercolor on linen; 30 5/8 x 21 7/8"

          Front elevation, n.d.
          ink and watercolor on linen; 18 5/8 x 29 1/4"

          Longitudinal section through No.430 looking east, January 1866
          ink and watercolor on linen; 16 1/4 x 35"



     F22  Library Company of Philadelphia  (13 items)
          These drawings were for improvements to properties belonging to the Library
          Company at 21-23-25 North Second Street.  Some of these drawings are inscribed
          by George Maurice Abbot, who became treasurer of the Library Company in 1886,
          and by George L. Sipps, who is listed as a "carpenter, builder, contractor"
          according to the 1897 Philadelphia Phone Directory.  Each is inscribed, "Collins
          & Autenrieth Architects 92 Walnut Street Phil. March, 1898."

          No.1
          Floor plans
          ink and watercolor on paper; inscribed at right "George L. Sipps / Geo. Maurice
          Abbot / Treasurer"; 34 3/8 x 28 1/2"

          No.2
          Improvements
          ink on paper; inscribed at right "George L. Sipps / Geo. Maurice Abbot /
          Treasurer"; 22 1/4 x 32 7/8"

          No.3
          Improvements
          ink and watercolor on paper; inscribed at right "George L. Sipps / Geo. Maurice
          Abbot / Treasurer"; 23 1/8 x 35 1/8"

          Series II.  Public Structures  (cont'd)
          Library Company of Philadelphia  (cont'd)

     F22  No.4
          Improvements
          ink and watercolor on paper; inscribed at right "George L. Sipps / Geo. Maurice
          Abbot / Treasurer"; 20 1/4 x 30 1/8"
     
          No.5
          Building at N. Second Street
          ink and watercolor on paper; 12 7/8 x 31"

          No.6
          Front elevation and detail
          ink and watercolor on paper; inscribed at right "George L. Sipps / Geo. Maurice
          Abbot / Treasurer"; 23 5/8 x 21 7/8"

          No.7
          Ceiling of south vestibule
          ink and watercolor on paper; 26 3/4 x 36'

          No.8
          Inside finish of bulk and store door
          ink and watercolor on paper; 16 1/8 x 17 1/4"

          No.9
          North side of south vestibule
          ink and watercolor on paper; 18 1/8 x 11"

          No.20
          Details for framing opening for elevator
          ink on paper; 11 x 16 1/4"

          No.22
          Winter sash of skylights
          ink on paper; 15 3/4 x 13 7/8"
     
          No.23
          Detail for elevator and west closets
          ink and watercolor on paper; 29 7/8 x 13"

          No.28
          Staircase details
          ink and watercolor on paper; 19 5/8 x 34 1/2"


     F23  New Masonic Hall  (1 item)
          This building is similar to the lithograph (c.1855) by Tholey, which is found on
          plate 75 in George Tatum's Penn's Great Town.  Tatum mentions that the hall
          was built in 1853-5 by S.K. Hoxie from designs of Sloan and Stuart, and that it
          burned down in 1886.

          Rendering of a Masonic Temple, 1852
          ink on paper; inscribed "92 Walnut St. Philadelphia  E. Collins, October 30,
          1852"; 25 7/8 x 38 1/8"     


+ Series I.: Competitions & Exhibitions

+ Series II.: Public Structures

+ Series III: Private Structures

+ Series IV: Project Journals


Biographical Note + Scope and Content Note + Series Outline Footer
Back to the UD Special Collections Home Page

+ Return to List of Manuscript Finding Aids by Title

This page is maintained by Special Collections
Last modified: 01/19/11
  • UD Library Special Collections  •   181 South College Avenue  •   Newark, DE 19717-5267  •   USA
    Phone: USA +1 302-831-2229  •   ©2014