University of Delaware Library
Bookmark and Share
UD Special Collections > Exhibitions > Little Known Histories of Newark, 1758-2008



Post-WWII Growth



Newark's post-World War II development pattern followed the national economic boom with new suburban projects, especially in response to housing needs for employees of the new Chrysler and Avon plants in town. The map of Brookside, to the east of town, shows a model suburban plan for this satellite community: homes, recreational area, community space, schools, churches, and commercial properties in convenient proximity to each other.

(Better Living in Oaklands)
Better Living in Oaklands and Your Home Planner, 1956-1959.
Hugh F. Gallagher, Jr., family papers.

In the early 1950s, real estate developer Hugh Gallagher built Silverbrook, where his own family owned one of the first homes, and contributed property toward Rittenhouse Park. By the end of the decade, he acquired the estate of the Wilson family, which was desirable property near the Newark Country Club. Gallagher tore down the dilapidated mansion and developed 91 acres in the new neighborhood as "the Oaklands" with model ranch, split-level, and two-story homes.


Family photographs of a new home in Silverbrook with notes on an envelope from Alice Pepper Gallagher.
Hugh F. Gallagher, Jr., family papers.
Gift of Mrs. Hugh F. Gallagher, Jr.

(Backhoe at Oaklands)
Photographs of new homes in Silverbrook.
Hugh F. Gallagher, Jr., family papers.

Map II from Brookside : a study of suburban real estate development in Delaware [and Map II] / by Paul Dolan and Albert H. Dunn. Newark : University of Delaware, Bureau of Economic and Business Research, [c1959].

Better Living in Oaklands and Your Home Planner [promotional booklets], 1956-1959.
Hugh F. Gallagher, Jr., family papers.
Gift of Mrs. Hugh F. Gallagher, Jr.








(Low Rent Homes for Newark and Newark Housing Authority annual report, 1968-1969)
"Low Rent Homes for Newark" and Newark
Housing Authority annual report, 1968-1969.
Henry Clay Reed papers.

Residental needs and housing plans from the 1960s through today continue to influence the look and economic development of Newark. Newark passed the state's first fair housing law in 1968 and established a housing authority to oversee low rent homes. The city constructed a reservoir in 2004 on the old Koelig Farm off Paper Mill Road to meet growing water demands.

More recent plans include construction of the Washington House Condominiums (formerly the Stone Balloon and the Washington House Hotel), which will bring mix-used upscale residential units back to Main Street, and the approval of a land swap to develop property owned by the Newark Country Club on West Main Street, the last large open space within city limits.




Newark Housing Authority annual report, 1968-1969 / "Low Rent Homes for Newark," / Population of Newark, 1951 and 1964. City issues files.
Henry Clay Reed papers.
Gift of Mrs. Henry Clay Reed

Two photographs of pipe being laid across Paper Mill Road for the Newark Reservoir / by Francis Poole, June 2003.
Gift of the photographer

(Washington House Hotel)
Postcard of the Washington House hotel, Newark, Del.
Delaware Postcard collection.

Newark Country Club ephemera, 1930s, with a clipping about a win by C.A. Houghton, one of the longest rounds ever played on the Newark course.
Clinton Osborne Houghton diaries.
Gift of the estate of Frederick C. Houghton

Postcard of the Washington House hotel, Newark, Del.
Delaware Postcard collection.

"Washington House : enjoy upscale, maintenance-free living in this downtown Newark community by Daystar Stills." Saturday Homescape, The News Journal, April 7, 2007.



This page is maintained by Special Collections.
11/03/09

  • UD Library Special Collections  •   181 South College Avenue  •   Newark, DE 19717-5267  •   USA
    Phone: USA +1 302-831-2229  •   ©2014