University of Delaware Library
Bookmark and Share
UD Special Collections > Exhibitions > Little Known Histories of Newark, 1758-2008



Education



Jennie Wilds
Daguerreotype of Jennie Wilds, 1850s.
Jennie Wilds and Caddie Lynch autograph
albums and daguerreotypes.

In addition to the Academy of Newark and the Newark College for boys and young men, other private institutions existed in nineteenth-century Newark for the education of girls and young women. The female seminary at the Deer Park Hotel was operated in the 1850s by Hannah Chamberlain, who later served as principal of the Newark Academy and is credited with making the decision to admit women to that previously all-male private school in 1873. Caddie Lynch, owner of the friendship album signed by Jennie Wilds, attended the Deer Park Seminary in 1856-1857. In addition to inscriptions from young ladies, several young gentlemnen from neighboring "Old College" signed Caddie Lynch's book.

(Tintype photograph of Benjie Henderson and classmates)
Tintype photograph of Benjie
Henderson (upper right)
with her classmates, 1860s.
Benjie Henderson diaries.


Caddie Lynch's autograph album, with inscription from Jennie [Wilds], Deer Park Seminary, 1857.
with
Daguerreotype of Jennie Wilds ("sixteenth plate" size, measuring 1-3/8 x 1- 5/8 inches), 1850s.

Jennie Wilds and Caddie Lynch autograph albums and daguerreotypes.
Gift of Mary S. Hutchison Brown

Benjie Henderson attended another female boarding school, Fairville Falls, "near Newark," before she began her own teaching career.

Daily pocket diary, 1864, with expenses.
with
Tintype photograph of Benjie Henderson (upper right) with her classmates, 1860s.
Benjie Henderson diaries.
Gift of Mrs. E.H. Sund




Free Public Schools in Newark were organized in 1830, in response to passage of Delaware's 1829 Free School Act. Newark had two small districts for white children living either north or south of Main Street; the first schooling for black children was offered from a private home on Corbit Street.

1903 Insurance Ledger, Samuel M. Donnell Insurance Records
Insurance ledger with entries for
"Colored School," Vol. 7, 1903.
Samuel M. Donnell Insurance Records
for Newark,Delaware.

Before schools were integrated by federal law in 1954, African American students attended community-sponsored schools in Newark. Even after the Board of Education established a school on New London Road for the African American community, local families lent support, as shown by the list of individual subscribers for the "Colored School" tax entry in Samuel Donnell's insurance ledger. The 1952 publication shown below depicts days of segregated educations, when African American students in Newark attended the New London Avenue School, built with funds from P.S. du Pont in 1922. The building now houses the George Wilson Community Center.

Newark District Schools grew to serve the area's growing population, especially the post-World War II suburban developments. In 1978, the U.S. Third District Court ordered the merging of Newark and ten other public school districts into the giant New Castle County District in order to integrate Wilmington schools. The complex 1978 plan eventually devolved into four districts, with Newark now part of the Christina School District, a non-contiguous district with twenty-four schools and other special programs in both Newark and Wilmington.


(Detail of 2 classrooms)

Know your school: a publication prepared for the people of Newark
by the Faculty Public Relations Committee. Newark, Del.: Board of Education, 1952.


Insurance Ledger with entries for "Colored School," off New London Road, Vol. 7, 1903. Spanning the dates 1888-1914, these records provide a wealth of information about property holders and building structures in Newark.
Samuel M. Donnell Insurance Records for Newark, Delaware
Gift of Mr. Groff

Know your school : a publication prepared for the people of Newark / by the Faculty Public Relations Committee ... Newark, Del. : Board of Education, 1952.

Lesson for today: history of the Newark School District / Newark School District (Del.) Board of Education. [s.l. : s.n., 1978?]





(Newark Elementary School students, 1927)
Newark Elementary School students, 1927.
Prints, Photographs, and Images collection.

Newark Elementary School students, 1927.
Prints, Photographs, and Images collection.




Brookside, a model post-World War II community on the east side of Newark, was developed to meet the housing needs of employees for growing industries, such as the Chrysler Assembly Plant. In addition to homes, new schools were built for the 1950s baby boom.


Photograph of Brookside Elementary School / designed by Newark resident and architect E. William Martin, 1959.
E. William Martin papers.
Gift of Mrs. E. William Martin




(Postcard of Newark High School)
Postcard of High School, Newark, Del.
in the Academy Building on Main Street.
Delaware Postcard collection.

Newark High School, originally known as Newark Public School, has existed at four different sites since the 1890s. It graduated just nine students in 1893, but quickly grew and expanded to serve Newark's growing school system. The high school moved to the Academy building from its second floor space in the red brick public school building at 83 East Main Street, after the private Newark Academy closed in 1898. It remained there until 1925, before moving to High Street for thirty years. The "new" high school (designed by Newark architect E. William Martin) has been at its current location since 1955.

Postcard of High School, Newark, Del., in the Academy Building on Main Street.
Delaware Postcard collection.

Newark Public School Faculty presents "Quality Street" [program and newsclipping], Feburary 1938. Esteemed Delaware historian John Munroe began his teaching career at Newark High School, 1936-1939, and is shown here, in his tri-corner hat, participating in a faculty play.
John Andrew Munroe papers.
Gift of John A. Munroe

Yellow Jacket Buzz, May 1940. Newark, Del. : Newark High School.




University of Delaware Library 181 South College Avenue Newark, DE 19717-5267 USA +1 (302) 831-2229
This page is maintained by Special Collections.
Last modified: 11/03/09

  • UD Library Special Collections  •   181 South College Avenue  •   Newark, DE 19717-5267  •   USA
    Phone: USA +1 302-831-2229  •   ©2014