University of Delaware Library
Bookmark and Share
UD Special Collections > Exhibitions > Little Known Histories of Newark, 1758-2008



The Lewis family papers present the story of early Newark landholders whose acquisitions and dealings shaped the future of the town. Some of the earliest maps and deeds of Newark are found in this collection, such as the maps for Elkton Road and Newark Road (Main Street). An 1820 map of the "Villiage of Newark" was used for the dust jacket of the 2007 Wallflowers Press Histories of Newark, 1758-2008 and is also used to illustrate the page margins for this online exhibit.

Albert Gallatin Lewis (1798-1883) attended Newark Academy during the year 1813 and married Catherine A. Lum in 1829. He owned more than 100 acres in the heart of Newark, extending south from Main Street along present day Academy Street.

Lewis built a home at 150 Academy Street some time after 1829, but as the population of the town increased and the center of Newark expanded, portions of the Lewis land were appropriated by the city for the purpose of building roads, such as Delaware Avenue, or were sold to various businesses, institutions, and residents. The Lewis family home was eventually purchased and demolished by the University of Delaware. Another portion of the family property was sold to the school district following Albert Lewis's death in 1883 and remained the property of the Christina School District until the historic building and lot was purchased by the University in 2008.




(Lewis family home)
Reproduction photograph of the Albert
Gallatin Lewis home at 150 Academy Street.
Lewis family papers.

Draught of three roads leading into New Ark from the end of James Anderson's Lane, May 1736.
Lewis family papers.
Gift of Donald Lewis Sheppard and Dorothy M. Ritterson

"Villiage of New Ark," 1820.
Lewis family papers.
Gift of Donald Lewis Sheppard and Dorothy M. Ritterson

Map of Road to Elkton depicting its residents. The map shows the Deer Park Hotel on the Town of Newark Street, with "A.G. Lewis's field of 18 acres now in wheat," and other property owners. Dated 1848, with annotations dated 1854.
Lewis family papers.
Gift of Donald Lewis Sheppard and Dorothy M. Ritterson

Reproduction photographs of Albert Gallatin Lewis and his home at 150 Academy Street.
Lewis family papers.
Gift of Donald Lewis Sheppard and Dorothy M. Ritterson




This page is maintained by Special Collections.
11/03/09

  • UD Library Special Collections  •   181 South College Avenue  •   Newark, DE 19717-5267  •   USA
    Phone: USA +1 302-831-2229  •   ©2014