University of Delaware Library
Bookmark and Share
UD Special Collections > Exhibitions > Little Known Histories of Newark, 1758-2008



Protecting Our Environment


The Dorothy P. Miller Park off Old Capitol Trail, near Cleveland Avenue, was named in 2006 in honor of Miller, an environmental activist who has been protecting valuable habitat and open space in the area since the mid-1960s. Birding first spurred Miller's concern for land development and conservation of water resources. She mobilized grassroots resistance when she learned of the DuPont Company's plans to build a reservoir on the White Clay Creek in the late 1960s, formed the Coalition for Natural Stream Valleys, promoted public acquisition of open space, and led the successful campaign to designate the White Clay a national Wild and Scenic River. She is a coalition builder, successfully allying resources for public acquisition of private lands for open space and parks.

(Bumpersticker)



"Save White Clay Creek / Don't Dam It!" (bumper sticker), late 1960s.
Dorothy Miller papers.
Gift of Dorothy Miller

White Clay Creek Green Belt Proposal / prepared by Newark Planning Department & Department of Parks & Recreation. Newark, Del. : City of Newark, 1974.
Dorothy Miller papers.
Gift of Dorothy Miller

Signed photograph of Govenor Sherman Tribbett, 1970s, with Dorothy Miller standing second from right.
Dorothy Miller papers.
Gift of Dorothy Miller

White Clay Creek National Wild & Scenic River / Watershed Management Committee, National Park Service, 2006.

"Greater Newark Recreation Association, Inc., announces a greater program for you," 1963 / along with "A Nickel's worth of pie for recreation: fact sheet on Parks and Recreation," circa 1963.
City issues files from the Henry Clay Reed papers.
Gift of Mrs. Henry Clay Reed



This page is maintained by Special Collections.
11/03/09

  • UD Library Special Collections  •   181 South College Avenue  •   Newark, DE 19717-5267  •   USA
    Phone: USA +1 302-831-2229  •   ©2014