UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE LIBRARY

Special Collections Department

PICTURING DELAWARE:
NEW CASTLE


Originally named Fort Casimir, New Castle was founded in 1651 by Peter Stuyvesant of the Netherlands. Because of its strategic location, ownership of the settlement was constantly changing. The flags of the Netherlands, Sweden and Great Britain have all flown over New Castle. Unlike many historic communities, New Castle is a residential town where people live and work. As such, it continues to inspire artists, local residents and visitors alike.
Ameerican historical Scene

Stanley Arthurs, 1877-1950.
The American Historical Scene. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania, 1935.

Arthurs was a student of Howard Pyle and became known as a history painter and illustrator. He produced a series of murals on Delaware history which hang in the State Capitol in Dover.


Old Courthouse

"Old Courthouse, New Castle, Delaware. Reproduction print from watercolor paintings by John Moll, circa 1950.

John Moll studied art in Philadelphia and Wilmington and spent a long career as a landscape painter and stone lithographer. He was a member of the Delaware WPA Art Project during the Depression and worked as a draftsman at the Dravo Corporation during World War II.


Albert Kruse.
"New Castle Architecture," 1932. Lithograph on paper.


Miriam Macgregor.
New Castle: a brief encounter. Risbury, Herefordshire: The Wittington Press, 1998.

"The Jail, New Castle" from New Castle: a brief encounter.


Old Courthouse Albert Kruse.
"Old Courthouse at New Castle Del." Pen and ink sketch for
Delaware Tercentenary Almanack & Historical Repository, 1938. Wilmington: Delaware Tercentenary Commission, 1938.

Photograph of New Castle scene. 1936. Willard S. Stewart.
Delaware Photograph Collection.


 

for reference assistance email Special Collections
This page is maintained by Special Collections

Last Modified 3/19/09