University of Delaware Library
Bookmark and Share


Delawareana


Jacques–Philibert Rousselot de Surgy

Histoire Naturelle et Politique de la Pensylvanie, et de L’Établissement des Quakers Dans Cette Contrée. A Paris: Chez Ganeau, 1768.
Gift of the Wilmington Trust Company in memory of the Honorable G. Burton Perason, Jr.

This early history of colonial Pennsylvania includes a fold-out map that displays Pennsylvania and the surrounding region, including colonial Delaware.

Frances Oliphant Allmond

Abner Prince Talley: His Ancestors and the Descendants of Abner Prince Talley and Hannah Mary Harkins.Wilminton, Delaware: Alpha Graphics, 2006.
Gift of Charles and Frances Allmond

This family genealogy traces the line of Abner Prince Talley (1836–1870), a Delaware farmer whose lineage reaches back to the colonists of late–seventeenth–century Delaware. The family line continues to the present day. Over forty years of research went into the compilation of this volume.

Photographs of Middletown, Delaware outdoor scenes, 1910–1914
Gift of Pearson family

These photographs, offer a glimpse of life in early twentieth–century Middletown. Included are an image of young Pearson and a friend sledding in the snow, and the Middletown railroad station.

Photograph of automobile, circa 1920
Gift of Pearson family

This photograph is from the papers of George Burton Pearson, Jr., (1905-1999), a prominent lawyer, Delaware Supreme Court judge, and a founding member of the Unidel Foundation, Inc. It features Pearson’s father, George Burton Pearson, Sr., in his automobile outside 94 E. Main Street, Newark, Delaware.


William H. Williams

William H. Williams (1936–2007), noted scholar of Delaware history, served as a professor and leader for the University of Delaware Parallel Program in Georgetown, Delaware, and was highly involved in Delaware public life. Williams published his first book in 1976, about the Pennsylvania Hospital, and subsequently authored six more books on the history of Delaware and the Delmarva Peninsula. He wrote on such topics as slavery, the Delmarva poultry industry, the history of Methodism, and the environment.

William H. Williams

Working draft of Slavery and Freedom in Delaware, 1639–1865, circa 1996
Gift of Helen G. Williams

This is an annotated draft of William H. Williams’s 1996 book on slave ownership in Delaware, plantation life, and the population of slaves and free blacks prior to the American Civil War. The book also covers the fate of blacks in Delaware after emancipation, race relations in Delaware, and the Civil Rights movement in the state.


Photograph of actors from the set of Freedom’s Edge: African Americans in Delaware, 1639–1865, 1997
Gift of Helen G. Williams

This photograph features Tom Colgan dressed as Pennsylvania abolitionist Thomas Garrett and Valerie Petty Boyer portraying a slave on the set of WHYY television series, “Freedom’s Edge: African Americans in Delaware, 1639–1865.” The series was created with the help of William H. Williams and University of Delaware professors Carol Marks and James Newton.


Littell Family

The Littell family traces its ancestry to some of the early eighteenth–century European settlers in the greater Delaware River Valley of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The Quaker Littells originally came to New Jersey from New England in the early 1700s. Through marriage, the Littell family united with descendants of the Shippen, Willing, and Morris families of Philadelphia and Wilmington, Delaware, and later with the Harrington family of Dover, Delaware. In addition to correspondence, letters, scrapbooks, commonplace books, copybooks, published material, and ephemera, the Littell Family Papers, donated by Jeanie L. and Julian D. Winslow, include over one hundred items originally belonging to the Morris, Morse, Littell, Harrington, and Winslow families.

Revolutionary War bullets, circa 1777
Gift of Jeanie L. and Julian D. Winslow

These bullets were fired at the Battle of Germantown in on October 4, 1777.

Fragment of George Washington’s coffin, circa 1837
Gift of Jeanie L. and Julian D. Winslow

This fragment of George Washington’s coffin was taken by John Struthers of Philadelphia at the time Washington’s body was removed from a deteriorating wooden coffin and placed it in a marble casket in 1837.

Tiffany and Company pendant, 1858
Gift of Jeanie L. and Julian D. Winslow

This pendant was made by American jewelry business Tiffany and Company using a piece of the first trans–Atlantic telegraph cable laid in 1858 from Newfoundland to Ireland.


Littleton and Jane Mitchell

Littleton P. Mitchell (1918–2009), born in Milford, Delaware, was one of the preeminent civil rights figures in Delaware in the twentieth century. During World War II, he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps and served as a member of the famed Tuskegee Airmen. After the war he began a career as a teacher and counselor at Governor Bacon Health Center in Delaware City. He was the first African American educator to teach white school children in Delaware, and through numerous organizations and in partnership with his close friend Louis L. Redding, he championed equal rights for African Americans and other disenfranchised citizens in areas of education, public housing, public services, and voting rights. He served from 1961 to 1991 as president of the Delaware State Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

Jane Mitchell (1921–2004), University of Delaware class of 1963, was the first African American nurse to be employed in a hospital in Delaware, spent her professional career at the state of Delaware Psychiatric Hospital where she served as nurse, administrator, and director of nursing services. She was also vice president of the Delaware Nurses Association, a member of the Delaware State Board of Nursing and served of president of that board.




Photograph of Littleton Mitchell in Tuskegee Airmen “flight simulator,” [circa 1944]
Gift of Philip V. Mitchell





Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. patch belonging to Littleton Mitchell, [circa 1944]
Gift of Philip V. Mitchell

NAACP buttons, undated
Gift of Philip V. Mitchell

Central Delaware Branch NAACP award presented to Littleton Mitchell, January 14, 1978
Gift of Philip V. Mitchell

Letter from Joseph R. Biden to Jane Mitchell regarding busing, July 30, 1975
Gift of Philip V. Mitchell

In this letter to Jane Mitchell, then–Senator Biden affirms his opposition to racial segregation in any venue while clarifying his disagreement with Mitchell on the issue of school busing. Biden did not believe busing to be an effective method of advancing school desegregation and saw it as a divisive issue that distracted attention from the cause of providing quality education to all students. While opposed to school busing, Biden rejected the efforts of some legislators to push measures through congress that would “prohibit busing by unconstitutional means.”


Donald W. Callender, Jr.

Donald W. Callender, Jr. is an industrial archaeologist whose career in the greater Delaware–Pennsylvania–Maryland–New Jersey area has involved maintenance and restoration of railroads and rail cars, as well as the establishment of a regional living history museum, and leadership of historic preservation organizations.


Photographs of ruined train, 1989
Gift of Donald W. Callender

This photograph shows one of the subjects of several restoration projects undertaken by Callender and the Historic Red Clay Valley, Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and interpreting the natural, cultural, and railroad heritage of northern Delaware.


Photograph of Bishop’s Mill Historic Institute, undated
Gift of Donald W. Callender

This photograph shows activities and scenes at the Bishop’s Mill Historic Institute, which Donald Callender helped establish in the 1970s. The Institute operates the Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation as a living history museum on land leased from Ridley Creek State Park (Edgemont, Pennsylvania) and represents a Delaware County farm as it would have existed prior to the American Revolution.


Malcolm L. Mackenzie

Malcolm L. Mackenzie owned and operated the publicity firm of MLM & Associates in Wilmington, Delaware, during the 1960s through at least the 1980s. He was a founding member of the Kalmar Nyckel Foundation, based in Wilmington, Delaware. Mackenzie was active in the Swedish Colonial Society and was a founding member of both the New Sweden Centre and the Kalmar Nyckel Foundation, which established the Kalmar Nyckel Shipyard and, in 1997, built a replica of the seventeenth–century sailing ship.


Photographs of the Kalmar Nyckel Shipyard, undated
Gift of Marianne Mackenzie

These photographs show the shipyard where the reproduction of the Kalmar Nyckel was constructed, starting in the late 1980s.


Photographs of the Kalmar Nyckel, circa 1997
Gift of Marianne Mackenzie

These photographs show the reconstructed Kalmar Nyckel, constructed over the course of a decade by the Kalmar Nyckel Foundation, following its launch in 1997. The Kalmar Nyckel and her sister ship the Fogel Grip carried passengers that established the first Swedish colony in Delaware in 1638.



Environmental Policy

These gifts document a broad and vital coalition of individuals dedicated to preserving the environment working through both the public and private sector. Gwynne P. Smith, an eight–term legislator in the Delaware General Assembly (1974–1990), sponsored the recycling measure known as the “Bottle Bill” and worked with Governor Russell Peterson to pass the 1972 Coastal Zone Act, which protected Delaware’s inland bays and waterways by banning heavy industry from the state’s coastline. June D. MacArtor devoted her career to environmental matters with the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (1987–1990), and continues to monitor environmental issues through citizens’ groups such as Greenwatch. Newark–based grassroots activist Dorothy P. Miller has fought since the late 1960s to protect streams and forests in the region and her leadership helped ultimately gain National Wildlife and Scenic River status for the White Clay Creek. Al Matlack, a chemistry professor at the University of Delaware, through his personal interest in birding and nature tours, has become a strong advocate for preserving Delaware’s wetlands and marshes. Robert Bennett, a member of the Mason–Dixon Trail Society, has pressed for protections of the natural environment, like many other Delawareans who enjoy outdoor recreation.


The National Park Service. White Clay Creek National Wild and Scenic River, Watershed Management Committee, 2006
Gift of Dorothy Miller




League of Women Voters. Delaware Coalition Against Nonreturnables “Pro–Bottle Bill” brochure, 1980
Gift of Gwynne P. Smith





Natural Resources Defense Council. Paving the Way for Coastal Development: Resource Mismanagement and Waste of Tax Dollars, October 1980
Gift of Robert Bennett


Office of Management, Budget and Planning. Coastal Storm Damage 1923–1974, September 1977
Gift of June D. MacArtor


Focus on Nature Tours newsletter, 1998
Gift of Al Matlack




Recycling Research Inc. The Challenge — Reusing our Resources, circa 1975
Gift of Gwynne P. Smith






George Wolkind

George Wolkind was active in the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) movement and participated in anti–war protests in the 1960s while a student at the University of Delaware. Wolkind shared his views and ideas through writing for the radical publication The Heterodoxical Voice and giving public speeches on campus and in the community. During the National Guard occupation of Wilmington in 1968, Wolkind was active in efforts to create peace between rival street gangs. After finishing his studies at the University of Delaware, Wolkind continued his political radicalism by joining the Weather Underground, a militant branch of the SDS movement. During a visit from noted counter–culture figure, Ken Kesey, the audience nominated Wolkind to run for the Mayor of Newark. Wolkind later left Delaware, settling in Colorado Springs, Colorado.


Activist flyer, 1968
Gift of George Wolkind

This flyer was distributed by Wolkind and fellow student and activist Ramon Ceci in May 1968. It resulted in their arrest on charges of distributing obscene literature, though these charges were eventually dropped. It was later noted that the “obscene” slogan featured on the flyer turned up in a Jefferson Airplane song “We Can Be Together” from their 1969 album, Volunteers.


Photographs of George Wolkind, 1967–1968
Gift of George Wolkind

The picture on the left was taken of George Wolkind during an anti–war demonstration at the Pentagon in October, 1967. The protest resulted in his arrest by soldiers of the 82nd Airborne. The picture on the right was taken as Wolkind was arrested in the University of Delaware’s Perkins Student Center in May, 1968 on charges of distributing obscene literature.

Claymont, Cornerstone of Brown v. Board, 2004
Gift of Virginia Tryon Smilack

This publication discusses the integration of the Claymont, Delaware, school district, an event that became an important part of the famous 1954 Brown v. Board of Education case in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that segregation in public schools was unconstitutional. In Claymont, the school board and the superintendent wanted to integrate and decided to enroll the students on September 4, 1952, with or without a court mandate. Because of this, Delaware was cited as an example of how integration could work in the later arguments before the U.S. Supreme Court.

League of Women Voters of Delaware

Additional gifts to the Library have helped further document the history of the state–level chapter of this national, non–partisan organization dedicated to political advocacy and encouraging voter awareness at the community level. For decades, the League of Women Voters has been crucial in shaping major public policy in Delaware, especially in the areas of environmental conservation, energy policy, healthcare, and the sustainable use of land.


League of Women Voters of Delaware. The Delaware Voter, 1995
Gift of Betty Hutchinson



League of Women Voters of Greater Newark handout, undated
Gift of Betty Hutchinson


H.B. Wright

Correspondence, April 13, 1883
Gift of Paul Preston Davis

This letter from Newark, Delaware, businessman H.B. Wright, is addressed to Casho Machine Company and relates to the purchase of a pad lock. This item is one of over 450 from a collection of business records, including correspondence, receipts, bill heads, ephemera for the building and hardware firm, H. B. Wright & Co. of Newark, Delaware from 1882–1896. This collection provides valuable insight into the day–to–day operations of a nineteenth–century Newark business.

Ernst Dannemann

Ernst Dannemann (1921–2010) was born in Stettin, Germany. At fifteen, Dannemann was sent to the United States in 1937 to escape the Nazi regime. Ernst and Terry Dannemann settled in Dover, Delaware, and established additional Dannemann Fabric store locations after his father George opened the first store on Main Street in Newark. Ernst Dannemann served on numerous state committees and championed causes such as civil rights, fair housing, Jewish social and political issues, and health care reform. Dannemann also served on the University of Delaware Board of Trustees. Delaware Governor Jack Markell posthumously bestowed the Order of the First State on Dannemann in 2011.



George Dannemann Reisepasse, 1936–1939
Gift of Gene N. Danneman and Gail D. Tolpin

Hundreds of thousands of Jews fled Nazi Germany and Austria between 1933 and 1939. Many countries, fearing such an influx of immigrants, imposed quotas on the number of émigrés allowed across their borders. Shown here is George Dannemann’s quota immigration visa number approved by the American Vice Consul in 1939, shortly before the September 1 German invasion of Poland.


Photographs of Dannemann’s Fabrics, 1957–1958
Gift of Gene N. Danneman and Gail D. Tolpin

Ernst Dannemann’s father George opened the first Dannemann’s Fabrics store in 1948, located at 132 East Main Street in Newark, Delaware. Not long after, Ernst Dannemann opened a second location in Dover. Within the next decade, Dannemann’s Fabrics was operating twelve stores in six states. Shown here are photographs of the Main Street and Dover locations, as well as one of George Dannemann's novelty stores in Stettin, Germany.

Letter from Joseph Biden, Jr. to Ernst Dannemann, 1982
Gift of Gene N. Danneman and Gail D. Tolpin

Ernst Dannemann’s political activism included serving as the Chairman of the State Pension Fund and as a citizen advisor to six Delaware governors. Shown here are acknowledgments of and gratitude for his service from then-Senator Joseph Biden, Jr.

Dover Post article on Terry Dannemann, May 16, 2007
Gift of Gene N. Danneman and Gail D. Tolpin

This article on the life of Terry Dannemann was published in the Dover Post shortly after her death on April 21, 2007. Dannemann (born Tuska Schmidt) was a Polish Jew and the only member of her immediate family to survive the Holocaust. By assuming the identity of Catholic farm workers, she and her childhood friend Ruth Wachner managed to elude the Gestapo for years in the heart of Nazi Germany. After the war, Schmidt met a newly discharged American soldier Ernst Dannemann who arranged passage to New York for the two women, where they arrived in 1946. Dannemann and Schmidt wed shortly thereafter and moved to Delaware where they went on to raise two daughters, Gene and Gail. Mrs. Dannemann became known as a successful businesswoman as well as a proponent of education, a patron of many charitable causes, and a supporter of the civil rights movement. She was also an active member of several local organizations including the Delaware League of Women Voters and Hadassah, the Jewish women’s service organization.


Delaware art exhibit ephemera, 1984, 1987–1989
Gift of Susan Davi

Variety of postcards and brochures advertising art exhibits at the Susan Isaacs Gallery of Wilmington, Delaware, and the University of Delaware University Gallery and art department.

Delaware postcard collection

The University of Delaware Library Postcard Collection comprises over two thousand postcards of Delaware and nearby areas. The postcards in the collection date mainly from the very end of the nineteenth century to the mid–twentieth, although there are also postcards from throughout the later part of the twentieth century. Most of the cards in the collection were commercially produced and represent well–known Delaware buildings, monuments, and views.

1. “Scene around Delaware City, Delaware.” Linden, New Jersey: Mayrose Co., 1930 or later Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick O’Donnell
2. “Greetings from Fenwick Island, Del.” Pittsville, Maryland: Tingle Printing Co., 1940 or later. Gift of G. Edward Thommen
3. “President Franklin D. Roosevelt and H.M. Konung Gustaf V.” Los Angeles, 1930 or later Gift of Gregory Wilson
This postcard commemorates the 300th anniversary of the first permanent Swedish settlement in Delaware and promotes Swedish–American relations. 4. Robert Pyle, Jr. “The Arden Stile,” Arden, Delaware. Wilmington, Delaware, 1946 Gift of Robert Pyle, Jr.

Newsletter of the Delaware Community Foundation. Roxana Cannon Arsht Leaves Her Legacy to Delaware, 2001
Gift of Adrienne Arsht

This article discusses the life and accomplishments of Roxana Cannon Arsht (1915–2003). Arsht became the fifth woman to pass the Delaware bar in 1941, but was unable to find suitable employment, especially after she married another lawyer, Samuel Arsht. In 1962, she began working as a volunteer master in the Family Court. After serving without pay for nine years, she made history when she was appointed by Governor Russell Peterson as a judge of the Family Court in 1971, becoming the first woman judge in Delaware. Over the years, she gave her time and financial support to numerous charities and was also the recipient of numerous awards. In 1986, she was inducted into the Hall of Fame of Delaware Women.


Program for the Dedication of the S. Samuel and Roxana C. Arsht Hall, October 18, 1991
Gift of Adrienne Arsht

In 1991, Sam and Roxana Arsht provided a gift to the University of Delaware that allowed for the construction of a new building for the rapidly expanding Academy of Life Long Learning, a program dedicated to the continuing education of adults over the age of 50.

Award presented to Leon deValinger, Jr., undated
Gift of Judith Pfeiffer

This award was presented to Leon deValinger, Jr. (1905–2000) by several major veterans’ organizations in recognition of his documentation of Delaware’s contributions to the victory of the United States in World War II. deValinger, a prominent historian, served as state archivist from 1941 to 1972 and was a founding member of the Society of American Archivists. He helped establish and strengthen Delaware’s public archives program and was instrumental in preserving historic such as Woodburn, the Governor’s House in Dover. He also was involved in the publishing of dozens of books, articles and pamphlets about Delaware history. The Leon deValinger, Jr. papers are held by the University of Delaware library and are a rich source of information about his personal and professional interests as well as Delaware history and preservation.

John Munroe

Manuscript of History of Delaware, circa 1970s
Gift of John and Dorothy Munroe

Shown here is a holograph manuscript of the first chapter of History of Delaware (first published in 1979) by University of Delaware H. Rodney Sharp Professor Emeritus of History John Munroe (1914–2006). Munroe wrote the volume as a Bicentennial project in 1975; it and its subsequent editions chronicle the history of Delaware from the 1600s to 2005.


Louis McLane

Letter from Louis McLane to Peter Duponceau, October 19, 1825
Gift of John and Dorothy Munroe

John Munroe spent much of his career studying Delaware politician and War of 1812 veteran Louis McLane, who was the subject of his 1974 publication Louis McLane: Federalist and Jacksonian. This letter concerns the invitation of French–born Philadelphia linguist Peter Duponceau to attend an event commemorating the landing of William Penn.

Junior League of Wilmington, Inc.

Established in 1918 under the inspiration of Mrs. William S. Bergland, the Junior League of Wilmington, Inc. is a non–profit organization and one of 292 leagues of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. The University of Delaware Library houses the archives of the Junior League of Wilmington, Inc., and the collection includes over 90 years of records documenting the activities of one of the oldest and most industrious women’s organizations in the United States.

Junior League of Wilmington

The Lantern newsletter, 1928, 1979
Gift of Junior League of Wilmington, Inc.

The newsletter of the Junior League of Wilmington, The Lantern, was started in 1927. Initially named The Wilmington Junior League News, the newsletter contains information about local events, meetings, conferences, and organizational news.

Photograph of the Brandywine House, circa 1970s
Gift of Junior League of Wilmington, Inc.

The Junior League of Wilmington raised funds through several charitable projects to support the renovation of the Brandywine House, a group living facility for the elderly.

Photograph of President Dwight D. Eisenhower with Junior League of Wilmington members, circa 1950s
Gift of the Junior League of Wilmington, Inc.

Chrysler Corporation Newark Assembly Plant photographs, undated
Gift of Chrysler Corporation/University of Delaware

For more than a half century, the Newark Chrysler Assembly Plant provided employment for generations of local residents and was an important economic asset and social presence in the city of Newark. When the plant closed in late 2008 it was purchased by the University of Delaware. After the purchase and prior to its renovation, archival material documenting the history and everyday activities of the plant was donated to the University of Delaware Library. Included in the gift are locally–produced Chrysler publications and newsletters, awards, certificates, and pictures, as well as a large amount of media material featuring Chrysler events, productions, and conferences.


Asa Pieratt

Photographs of Newark, Delaware, 1995, 1998
Gift of Asa Pieratt

Newark Diner, 1998. Verso reads: “Newark Diner–Main Street. Formerly Jude’s Diner and prior to that Jimmy’s Diner.”

Restoration of Old First Presbyterian Church, February 1998.

Chalk artwork outside Brewed Awakenings on Main Street, July 1995.

Delaware Art Center D–Day exhibit piece, 1964
Gift of William H. Duncan

This exhibit piece, featuring photos of Aron Cypen “Cy” Lubtish and an article by William P. Frank was used in a Delaware Art Center exhibit in 1964, honoring the 20th anniversary of the D–Day landings. Lubtish was born in the Soviet Union, immigrated to Canada and subsequently immigrated to the United States in 1937. In 1943 Lubitsh was drafted into the Army, and assigned to the 166th Signal Photographic Company. His unit was sent to France in 1944, landing at Normandy while the D–Day invasion was still underway. The unit was assigned to the Third Army throughout campaigns in France and Germany. Lubitsh received the Bronze Star, and was honorably discharged in the fall of 1945. He went on to work as a commercial artist and photographer.

Lewes planning program staff, April 1, 1969
Gift of William J. Cohen

This photograph features William Cohen (second from left), other members of the Lewes Planning Program staff, and pilot in front of an Air Force CH–3 Helicopter at Dover Air Force Base. The Delaware State Planning Office was involved with a number of community planning projects in 1969. In order to give the planners a better idea of the aerial view of the Delaware coast, several of them boarded an Air Force helicopter for a tour of the coast from Dover to Bethany Beach. In order to take the images, the photographer aboard was strapped in the helicopter so he could lean out of a side door that was open for almost the entire flight.




Aerial photograph of Lewes Beach, April 1, 1969
Gift of William J. Cohen






Charles Allmond

Art and the Animal Exhibition poster, November 29, 2002–January 19, 2003
Gift of Charles Allmond

Delaware sculptor Charles Allmond practiced law and worked in a variety of capacities in agriculture before devoting himself to sculpting.

William Thompson Read

Life and Correspondence of George Read: A Signer of the Declaration of Independence: With Notices of Some of His Contemporaries. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1870.
Gift of Kenneth Haas

This biography of William Thompson Read was written by Read’s grandson, who relied upon Read’s papers and other primary source material for his documentation. Educated in Francis Allison’s academy, Read was a signer of both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. He later served on the senate and the Supreme Court of Delaware.



This page is maintained by Special Collections.
11/29/11

  • UD Library Special Collections  •   181 South College Avenue  •   Newark, DE 19717-5267  •   USA
    Phone: USA +1 302-831-2229  •   ©2014