University of Delaware Library
Bookmark and Share


Through the Years:

The University of Delaware Through Yearbooks


Growth and Development

University President Walter Hullihen in the 1937 Blue Hen essay on display tied the University’s physical growth to the development of “its teaching strength, and its scholarly activity.” In his view, a proper library was a central part of that effort. Memorial Hall, which served as the University library from 1924 to 1964 and owes its existence in no small part to Hullihen’s efforts, was the clear result. Fittingly, the construction of Morris Library in 1963, spearheaded by University President Perkins, gave form to the physical core of the University we know today.



The Blue and Gold. Newark, Del.: Women’s College University of Delaware, 1945.

Picture of Memorial Library looking north towards Main Street.







The Blue and Gold. Newark, Del.: Women’s College University of Delaware, 1945.

Mitchell Hall on the North Green. Kent Hall was originally built without the dormitory due to a lack of funds.





The Blue and Gold. Newark, Del.: Women’s College of Delaware, 1923.

The original buildings of the Women’s College of Delaware are today Robinson and Warner Halls respectively.





The Blue and Gold. Newark, Del.: Women’s College of Delaware, 1923.

Sussex Hall, built in 1918. The Practice House was the first home for the University’s President.





The Blue and Gold. Newark, Del.: Women’s College University of Delaware, 1945.

A view of the Old College building displaying the wartime service flag. Below is the Women’s College Gymnasium now Hartshorn.



The Blue Hen. Newark, Del.: University of Dealware, 1937.

An essay by University President Walter Hullihen on plans for the expansion of the University.

The Blue Hen. Newark, Del.: University of Delaware, 1987.

The dedication ceremony for a renovated and expanded Morris Library.



This page is maintained by Special Collections.
05/04/12

  • UD Library Special Collections  •   181 South College Avenue  •   Newark, DE 19717-5267  •   USA
    Phone: USA +1 302-831-2229  •   ©2014