Defining a Research Topic
At the beginning of a research project, you should:
- clearly define your topic; identify
important concepts and sub-concepts.
- identify what research questions you need to answer.
- decide what type of material is needed and in what formats. For
example, should research material be historical data, statistics or book and
journal citations, or a combination of everything.
- identify subject terms and key words to use in searching subject
databases and indexes.
- select one or more printed indexes or databases to search for references
- select references which seem appropriate to your research topic
- check DELCAT to find the location of the articles in references
After you have located your sources in the Library, it is important to
decide which sources to use.
Learn about evaluating